Safety must always come first in contracting (Photo by Jonathan Alcorn/Getty Images)

A recent plumbing accident in New Jersey is a reminder for contractors to always put safety first.

Plumbing accident gives great reminder to keep on top of safety

Everyone has made a small mistake at some point while working. Hey, we’re only human. However, a recent plumbing accident in New Jersey is a reminder for contractors to always put safety first.

The Associated Press reported that an apartment complex caught fire and displaced more than 1,000 residents after workers doing plumbing work accidentally started a fire inside of the building’s walls.

"A plumbing repair ignited a fire in the wall which then spread through the building," [Edgewater Police Chief William Skidmore] said. "It was accidental, there was nothing suspicious about it, and we have complete verification and there's no doubt about it."

Two civilians and two firefighters sustained minor injuries. Christie called the job done by first responders "extraordinary" and called the lack of fatalities "an enormous blessing."

While it is great that there were no deaths, many people said they lost everything they owned. This should serve as reminder of just how important safety precautions are in plumbing. Always remind yourself and contractors about safety precautions.

Take a read through this Matthew Stangle story from Contractor that came out in August 2014. It may help serve as another fine reminder of how essential safety is as a contractor.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish