ROCKVILLE, MD—The Mechanical Contractors Association of America, Inc. (MCAA) just released the latest in its supervisor safety training series. Reduce the Risk: Pre-Task Safety and Health Planning for Supervisors provides the education that mechanical construction supervisors need to reduce risks by pre-planning for potentially hazardous tasks.
By watching the DVD, viewers will learn how to:
• Identify potentially hazardous tasks,
• Conduct task hazard analyses and
• Implement corresponding safe work procedures.
“This resource shows supervisors how to include safety as a standard part of their normal construction planning processes,” said MCAA’s Director of Safety and Health, Pete Chaney. He added, “Pre-planning has been shown to reduce the risk of workplace injuries and illnesses.” A study conducted by the Construction Industry Institute identified pre-project/pre-task safety and health planning as one of five critical components of a successful safety program.
“This DVD was originally designed for project managers and foremen, but it’s also a superb training resource for workers,” added Tom Skaggs, Chairman of MCAA’s Safety and Health Committee and Vice President – Safety for the Murphy Company. “Being able to reach workers and supervisors is what has made MCAA’s safety and health resources so successful since 1998.”
In 1998, MCAA released The Profitability of Safety, a DVD designed to educate supervisors on how they can contribute to their companies’ bottom lines by dedicating time and resources to establishing and maintaining safe work practices. Since that time, MCAA has developed:
• The Right Approach: Accident Investigation for the Mechanical Trades, which provides step-by-step instruction on how to conduct a thorough accident investigation and helps supervisors understand why accident investigations are so critical;
• OSHA Inspections: Be Prepared for the Process, which teaches designated “supervisors in charge” how to prepare in advance of an OSHA inspection, and how to minimize company losses during the inspection process;
• Safety Management for Mechanical Construction Supervisors, which covers the critical aspects of project safety management including leadership, pre-task planning, hazard recognition, auditing for compliance, properly addressing safety concerns, regulatory loss control, recordkeeping and conflict resolution; and
• Safety Leadership for Mechanical Construction Supervisors, which reviews the key leadership skills needed to establish the jobsite safety culture desired by every top-notch company and required by so many owners, GCs and CMs.
MCAA members and local affiliated associations will receive a free copy of the DVD in their regular membership mailing. Non-members are welcome to order through our online store (www.mcaa.org/store), where a full range of safety publications and learning tools are available, including model programs that assist contractors in complying with OSHA requirements and safety talks and safety training kits to help with in-house training.