ONTARIO, The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO), in recognition of his vital contributions to the unprecedented growth and influence enjoyed by The IAPMO Group in recent years, has promoted Dave Viola to chief operating officer and senior vice president of Business Strategy, IAPMO CEO GP Russ Chaney announced.
“Dave has a tremendous amount of experience in the plumbing industry and has a keen understanding of all facets of our business,” Chaney said. “From his start in the family plumbing contractor business, he has spent numerous years overseeing code development and customization, training and code support activities, standards development, and product certification. I feel confident that Dave will be successful in serving in his new role.”
Since joining IAPMO in 2007, as senior director of Technical Services Viola has overseen divergent areas of The IAPMO Group, including strategy, industry outreach, training and education, international and custom code development, promotion of IAPMO programs and services, the newly acquired American Society of Sanitary Engineering (ASSE International) and IAPMO’s Green Building and Sustainable Construction codes initiatives, including development of the Green Plumbing and Mechanical Code Supplement.
Viola previously served as technical director for the Plumbing Manufacturers Institute (now International) for nine years, where he was responsible for all product standard, plumbing code, product certification, and training activities.
As a vital member of the plumbing industry, Viola was the 2005 recipient of the ASSE Fellow Award and has served on numerous committees and boards, including 13 years as chairperson of the ASME A112 Committee on Plumbing, World Health Organization (WHO) Advisory Committee on Water Quality, and a charter member of the Board of Directors for the Alliance for Water Efficiency (AWE).
Prior to his work with PMI, Viola worked on the International Plumbing Code with BOCA International and the International Code Council. His responsibilities with these organizations included serving as secretary of the plumbing code, evaluating plumbing products for code compliance, and developing and conducting seminars.
Thanks to an early start in the family plumbing business, Viola’s knowledge of the plumbing industry comes from practical, hands-on experience. He built upon this foundation with a mechanical engineering degree from Northern Illinois University.
Other notable industry committees on which Viola serves include:
- ANSI Accreditation Committee for Product Certifiers
- U.S. Green Building Council Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group
- American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) 189 Committee
- for High-Performance Green Buildings
- Green Building Initiative Commercial Green Building Committee and Water Subcommittee
- ASHRAE 191 Committee for the Efficient Use of Water in Building, Site and Mechanical Systems
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers Main Design Standards Committee
- ASSE Plumbing Product Standards Committee
- Board of Standardization and Testing for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Canadian Standards Association Plumbing Technical Committees