FALLS CHURCH, VA – The members of the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors—National Association (PHCC) Educational Foundation’s Plumbing Apprentice and Journeyman Training (AJT) Committee are known for their problem-solving abilities. Their most recent feat? Successfully conducting the first in-person national SkillsUSA plumbing competition since 2019 at a new facility in a new host city. AJT Committee members serve on the SkillsUSA Plumbing Technical Committee and are responsible for setting up and running the contest and for assisting with judging.
Six plumbing students received top honors in the plumbing competition. Plumbing Contest winners were:
- 1st Place Secondary – Tyler James, Four County Career Center, Archbold, Ohio
- 1st Place Post-Secondary – Christopher Hayes, Pinellas Technical College, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- 2nd Place Secondary – Nicholas Jordan Jacob, Smith Vocational & Agricultural High School, Northhampton, Mass.
- 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Brady Kroll, North Dakota State College of Science, Wahpeton, N.D.
- 3rd Place Secondary – Tyler Cyr, Smithville High School, Smithville, Texas
- 3rd Place Post-Secondary –Chris Martinez, Texas State Tech College, Waco, Texas
Technical committee members for this year’s event included:
- Robert Hahn, Chair, Eastwick College, HoHoKus School of Trades in Union, N.J. (plumbing)
- Dale Powell, Project Manager, PHCC Educational Foundation, Gettysburg, Pa. (plumbing)
- Bob Carpenter, Viega, Broomfield, Colo. (plumbing)
- Danny Crigler, III, L & D Coates Inc., Aroda, Va. (plumbing)
- Laurie Crigler, Aroda, Va. (plumbing)
- Roman Grier, Viega, Broomfield, Colo. (plumbing)
- Victor Hatcher, Tyler Pipe and Coupling, Tyler, Texas (plumbing)
- Warren Lupson, Lupson Assoc., Silver Spring, Md. (HVACR)
- Harold Moret, Copper Development Association, McLean, Va. (plumbing)
- Larry Shoemaker, Deluxe Plumbing & Heating, Bethlehem, Pa. (plumbing)
- Jeff Voss, Jeff’s Plumbing and Repair, Boone, N.C. (plumbing)
- Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Des Moines, Iowa (HVACR)
- James Walls, Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Garland, Texas (plumbing)
Additional prizes, materials and on-site support provided by: AB&I Foundry; BrassCraft Manufacturing Co.; Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute; Charlotte Pipe & Foundry; Copper Development Association; Milwaukee Tool Co.; Miller Mechanical, LLC; Oatey; PHCC Educational Foundation; Sioux Chief Manufacturing; Toto, Tyler Pipe & Coupling; and UA Local 72 in Atlanta.